Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

2013 Movies... I'm Ready

Among several things I get excited about in the springtime are the blockbuster movies that come out.  Starting April 19th a slew of movies begin to hit theaters for the next 4 months.  Movies around this period take about 70% of my total tickets bought in the calendar year.  All of the movies I list here are movies I want to see badly so I'll list them in importance from lowest to highest excitement level.

LOWEST

Fast and Furious 6: I like these movies and some are definitely better(FF1, FF5) than others(FF2, FF4) but at some point it has to stop doesn't it?  As I write this FF7 is in the works, not kidding.

Hangover 3: The first one was iconic, original and absolutely hilarious, the second was a bad attempt at redoing what made part one so great.  I don't see this being worse than 2 but it certainly won't eclipse the first movie.

300: Rise of an Empire:   No one could imagine the impact 300 had back just a few years ago.  It made Gerard Butler, then an unknown actor a star and it created a world few films have ever done with so little big named actors in it.  Again, sequels rarely ever come out better than the original although it does happen from time to time(Terminator 2, Aliens, Spiderman 2, The Dark Knight).

Pain and Gain:  This movie actually looks pretty darn funny to me.  The Rock AKA Dwayne Johnson is a decent actor and its based on a true story, as far fetched as it seems.  I'm PUMPed to see it.  See what I did there?

Star Trek into Darkness:  Sorry Trekkies, I really enjoyed the first one but I'm not a huge fan otherwise.  If it's anything close to the first we have ourselves a bonafied series starting here.

The Wolverine:  I love Wolverine.  He's one of my top 5 all time favorite comic book heroes or villains.  With that said, the first movie was at best an average movie with below average special effects.  I believe this will be a much better movie.

The Great Gatsby:  DiCaprio is a tremendous actor and personally he got robbed by the academy in Django, had to mention that.  Anyway, I know nothing about this movie and I never read the book because I don't do that.  Still, it looks really good.

World War Z:  Not sure if the CGI will be good enough for the swarms of zombies to look real enough but I'm betting Brad Pitt will be awesome regardless...because he is.

Elysium:  Another world is ending type scenario here which hollywood seemed to ignore somehow.  Every so often the do a Deep Impact/Armageddon, Volcano/Dante's Peak type screw up, this year there's literally 6 or 7 movies with the world being over/apocalypse plots.  I think this one could be the best one but I'm not up to speed on it as others.  Also, Matt Damon isn't a Streisand after all.

Pacific Rim:  Guillermo Del Toro is a bad ass and that's all that needs to be said here.

Oblivion:  Look, I'm bias towards Tom Cruise.  He's a wonderful actor with unlimited range, don't believe me?  Go see Magnolia, Rain Man,  followed by Jerry Maguire and Born on the Fourth of July.  I didn't name a single action film there, dude has skills.  Add Morgan Freeman, then another end of the world scenario/sci-fi theme and I'm there. 

Iron Man 3:  Iron Man 2 was less than perfect but it wasn't bad, the problem was it didn't follow part one like Dark Knight did to Batman begins and that's a tough gig to follow.  Iron Man 3 will be epic.  Ben Kingsley as the Mandarin is gonna rock!  Who knows what's in store for Tony Stark in this post Avengers film.  Can't wait!

Man of Steel:  I mean really?  Was anyone really thinking this wasn't gonna be on top?  My favorite superhero and Zach Snyder(The Watchmen, 300)at the helm, boom!  You can kiss the dreadful '06 version goodbye(not that you haven't already).  This will be dark and edgy which DC comics is all about anyway.  I've always said that in order for Superman to ever be in the same realm as the Dark Knight or Iron Man in terms of being beloved, you have to make it darker.  The gee-shucks of old has run it's course, time to get Michael Shannon his due.  KNEEL TO ZOD!

Movies I'm desperately trying to avoid this Summer:

Grown Ups 2
Lone Ranger
After Earth

No comments: